LEPL – David Aghmashenebeli National Defense Academy of Georgia
Provision of the Library
Article 1. General Provisions
- This provision defines legal status, structure, authority, accountability of the Library (hereafter Library) of LEPL David Aghmashenebeli National Defense Academy of Georgia (hereinafter - Academy) and regulates other issues related to the Library activities.
- The library is a structural unit of the Academy which carries out its activities in accordance with the Georgian legislation, the Statute of the Academy, the internal regulations and rules envisaged by this Provisions.
Article 2. Objectives of the Library
- The objectives of the Library are as follow:
- a) Providing the Junkers/students and personnel of the Academy with the quick and complete information and library documents (printed, manuscript, electronic, digital and other materials containing the information) necessary for the learning process;
- b) Creation of favorable conditions for the creative development of a person;
- c) Facilitation of education and professional development of the community working in the Academy and generally in the field of defense through the collection, protection, analytical-scientific processing and dissemination of information, exchange of ideas, creation of the environment relevant to the modern creative, teaching and discussion requirements;
- d) Ensure access to international electronic databases, cooperation with both Georgian and foreign scientific institutions, information centers and other interested organizations;
- e) Providing the Library of the Academy, on the one hand and the country's education space, on the other hand with qualitative literature existing in the field by close cooperation with the translators of the Academy.
Article 3. Main Functions of the Library
- Main functions of the Library are the following:
- a) Provide learning, scientific and educational processes with library documents (books, magazines, newspapers, patents, copyright certificates, technical catalogs, descriptions of invention, audio-visual and other means of information);
- b) Rationally form and organize library funds, protect, account, process scientifically, create search tools and organizationally use them in compliance with the standards operating in the library system;
- c) Create the necessary conditions for preserving the library documentation;
- d) Study condition of providing educational, informational and scientific requirements of the Academy with Library documents, analyse and organise the working process on its base;
- e) Study, check and clean the book fund periodically according to the applicable instruction;
- f) Create Exchange Fund and provide conditions necessary for the libraries of other higher education institutions and agencies;
- g) Organize information-bibliographic activities using modern methods;
- h) Organize, protect, and create reference system and bibliography for the scientific-research papers made in the Academy.
- i) Introduce library-bibliographic knowledge among consumers; upgrade the level of the culture of reading;
j)Provide library and information-bibliographic services to library users in place as well as giving the books for home use; also by using interlibrary loan and forms of international book-exchanges in accordance with the rules for Library employment;
- k) Care for upgrading the qualification of library staff;
Article 4. The authority and Liabilities of the Library
- The library is authorized to:
- Cooperate with the libraries of Georgia and foreign countries become the member of international professional organizations;
- Take appropriate measures against persons who violate the rules of employment the Library or sustain material damage to the library;
- Participate in national and international programs for spreading information and knowledge;
- Provide information and services in accordance with the current requirements;
- Facilitate scientific research in the field of library-information system in Georgia and their practical implementation;
- Facilitate the development of qualified specialists in the field of communication, library, informatics and documentation; conduct trainings for field specialists and librarians. Teach customers the efficient ways of using each resource of the library as necessary;
- Carry out other authorities defined by the Georgian legislation.
- The Library is obliged to:
- Conduct its activities in accordance with the applicable legislation;
- Fulfill the obligations envisaged by applicable legislation and this provision;
- Follow the state standards established for the library field;
- Take care of the creation of library funds in accordance with the profiles and establishing book-exchange relationships with other libraries;
- Ensure differentiated services for readers in a stationary and mobile manner; take into account the reader's opinions, interests, requirements and proposals. Use the customer and demand oriented methods;
- Assist the customer in protection and realization of their rights. Improve by the permanent dialogue with customers;
- Timely, qualitatively and uninterruptedly accept, process and provide information and consulting services;
- Maintain full accounting of the library funds in accordance with the existing legislation and periodically exclude library documents with outdated content and in a physically unfit condition according to the applicable standards;
- Systematically fill the funds with relevant library documents and provide them effectively in the Library's search-searching tools;
- Draw up the rules of employing the Library and introduce them to the reader;
- Provide library statistics in accordance with the established rule of Georgia;
- Conduct research to improve services and introduce new methods or technologies;
- Ensure the relevant environment for co-operation and mutual support by active exchange of information and optimizing the working processes as well as by the staff trainings.
Article 5. Rights and Obligations of Users
- The reader is authorized to:
- a) Receive the Library documents preserved in the Library according to the rules of Library employment;
- b) Get full information about the issues they are interested in;
- c) Use search tools of the Library;
- d) Request a copy of the necessary document in accordance with the established rule of the Library;
- e) Publish or introduce a library document to the society in agreement with the Library if it does not contradict the laws of Georgia on state secrets and copyright;
- The reader is obliged to:
- a) Familiarize with the rules of library employment and follow them;
- b) The reader who violates the rules of Library employment will compensate the damage in accordance with the norms established by the rules of Library employment. Other responsibilities shall also be imposed in accordance with Georgian legislation and/or internal regulations of the Academy.
Article 6. Property of the Library
The property of the Library is used only for the purposes and objectives set by the Statute.
Article 7. Leadership of the Library
The Library is led by the Head of the Library, who is appointed and dismissed by the Rector of the Academy. In case of his/her absence, the duties are performed by one of the leading specialists.
Article 8. Staff of the Library
- The Head of the Library:
- a) Represents the Library and is responsible for the proper functioning of Library activities;
- b) Manages material means, is responsible for the purposeful and proper use of the properties of the Library in accordance with Georgian legislation and the internal regulations of the Academy;
- c) Distributes duties among the Library staff, gives them tasks and instructions;
- d) Accounts and controls working time;
- e) Conducts other activities necessary for the functioning and development of the Library in compliance with Georgian legislation;
- f) Provides acceptable and facilitating work and communication environment for employees; ensure the use of democratic methods of managing personnel and involvement of each employee in it;
- f) Develops the rules for Library employment;
- g) Exercises other authority defined by the
Article 9. The Rule for Making Changes and Amendments to the Provision
Changes and amendments to the provision is made by the decision-making body.